How to Apply
Cal State Apply accepts applications for the Fall 2023 cohort from Oct 1, 2022, to April 1, 2023.
The Ed.D Program will begin reviewing applications Feb 1, 2023.
Applying to the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership
Domestic Applicants: Apply online here. Select San Francisco State EDD - Community College or P-12
International applicants must submit additional documents. Visit the Graduate Studies/International Applications website for complete details.
For Admission to the Fall 2023 Cohort
- Application Review Begins: February 1, 2023, rolling admissions until filled.
- Application deadline: April 1, 2023.
- We encourage you to apply early to ensure your application is considered.
- We also encourage prospective students to begin the financial aid application process early. For more information, go to the SF State Financial Aid website and read the Guide to Financial Aid.
Cohorts will be accepted each year for the Fall semester only.
Preparing application materials
In order to complete your online application, you will need to be ready with the following materials:
Transcripts: For this University requirement, you will need to provide transcripts from all postsecondary institutions you have attended. Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded initially, however, if accepted, you will be required to upload official transcripts.
- Personal Statement: This should be typed, single-spaced and should be between one to two pages. Describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program, your preparation for this field of study and why our program is a good fit for you. Also include discussion of your future career plans, and other aspects of your background as well as interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study. You may indicate potential faculty mentors as part of your study and research interests. (1,000-word limit)
Current Curriculum Vitae or Résumé: This should demonstrate your work and leadership experience, education, and relevant activities and accomplishments;
Graduate Record Exam (GRE): No longer required for admissions to the program.
Three (3) Letters of Recommendation: You must submit three (3) letters of recommendation from employers or other individuals who can attest to your suitability for the program. Under the Evaluations tab, you will be prompted to supply the names and emails of your recommenders. An email will then be sent to them directly with a link to the application and instructions for how to supply the recommendation.