About Empire State College:
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 48-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 87,000 proud and successful alumni and partners while serving appropriately 17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
Empire State College's School for Graduate Studies seeks applications for a full-time, tenure-track associate professor position in Higher Education Leadership. The individual will also serve as the inaugural coordinator of the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership and Change. As Ed.D. program coordinator, the chosen individual will lead the Education Division faculty in launching Empire State College's first doctoral program. This includes working with faculty, staff, and administrators to develop online courses, plan program residencies, and develop marketing and promotional materials. S/he will also lead the program admissions process, lead faculty development sessions on working with doctoral students, and mentor other faculty on working with doctoral students. There may also be teaching and course development in master's level programs that will act as feeder programs for the Ed.D.. The successful candidate will come to the position with a proven track record of successful teaching and advising of doctoral students, chairing dissertations, publishing peer-reviewed research, and acquiring extramural funding sufficient for appointment at the associate or full professor level in an Ed.D. program.
SUNY Empire State College faculty members work with students in one-on-one, seminar, retreat-based, blended and online learning modes at the graduate and undergraduate levels; the mix varies by setting. The School for Graduate Studies serves over 1,600 students per year in several degree and certificate programs offered in online and blended formats. The Ed.D. in Educational Leadership and Change is the college's first doctoral program.
- Doctorate in Higher Education Leadership or a related field from a regionally accredited U.S. university or comparable non-U.S. university
- Doctoral level teaching experience
- Experience chairing dissertations
- Ability to develop and teach courses in educational leadership and change in higher education
- Ability to develop and teach courses in advanced research methods
- Strong record of success in publishing peer-reviewed research
- Strong record of success in acquiring extramural funding
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- The desire and skills to engage with a diverse student body
Extensive experience in online and blended teaching formats
- The location is open to any of Empire State College's major locations across New York State (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Capital Region, Hudson Valley, New York City, or Long Island).
- Teaching in evening and weekend residencies and retreats per program needs will be required.
- Office hours (primarily online) will vary to accommodate student needs.
- Some travel and overnights required.
Rank/Salary: $80,000+, Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applications Due: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button :
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
For more information: