Position: Summer Camp Director
Camp Locations: UC Berkeley, Stanford University
Camp Dates: various sessions in June, July, and August 2018
Education Unlimited is looking for qualified and energetic program administrators to join our team as a Summer Camp Director.
The fundamental job of the Summer Camp Director is to plan and manage the day-to-day operations of the camp, to ensure that Education Unlimited’s policies, curriculum, schedule, and mission are implemented, and to manage the program staff and instructors, among other various duties. Camp Directors will begin planning camp programs in early spring and will live on-campus (lodging, meals, and parking provided) during program dates.
The Summer Camp Director is probably our most rewarding and challenging camp position, and we believe that having a positive, organized, and effective camp director helps to create memorable and deeply enriching camp experiences for our students.
Camp Directors must have good judgement, people skills, and follow-through to be effective. Camp Directors must also be able to accept direction from Education Unlimited headquarters to ensure that our policies and requirements are being uniformly administered at each program. Successful Camp Directors must be able to manage and work productively with campers, their parents, and camp staff. A bachelor’s degree is required. A master’s degree or PhD is a plus.
- 5+ years’ experience working with students (in a teaching or administrative role) between the ages of 8 and 18.
- 2+ years' experience in program administration.
- A calm and professional demeanor.
- The willingness and ability to work long hours.
- Self-motivation and follow-through.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong people skills.
- A passion for education.
- The ability to manage others in a high-energy environment.
Before camp, Camp Directors will:
- Attend all director training meetings.
- Regularly communicate with EU headquarters.
- Hire (or assist in hiring) camp staff at least one month prior to the start of camp.
- Meet with campus conference staff prior to the start of camp.
- Prepare and finalize camp schedules and activities.
During camp, Camp Directors will:
- Address students’ needs and ensure student safety.
- Handle campus relations (facilities, dining, classrooms, etc.).
- Manage communication with parents.
- Meet teachers’ needs for classroom materials and activities.
- Follow and maintain the camp budget.
- Lead recreational activities as needed.
- Manage camp staff, including instructors and, in some cases, assistant directors or counselors.
Camp Directors may be hired for one week or for multiple sessions at a campus. Please indicate your availability on the job application.
Education Unlimited® provides academic summer camps & pre-college summer programs for students entering grades 4-12. Our summer programs include public speaking camps, college admissions prep programs, science camps, summer acting camp, writing camps, computer camp, leadership camp, video production camp, and college tours.